Dental sealants are a thin, protective coating painted on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prevent tooth decay. They are a safe and effective way to protect children’s teeth, especially during the years when they are most at risk of cavities.
Why are dental sealants important for children?
Children’s back teeth have deep pits and grooves that can be difficult to clean even with good brushing and flossing. Food and bacteria can easily build up in these areas, leading to tooth decay.
Invisalign las vegas sealants act as a barrier, preventing food and bacteria from getting into the pits and grooves of the teeth. This helps to prevent cavities and keep teeth healthy.
How effective are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are very effective in preventing tooth decay. Studies have shown that dental sealants can reduce the risk of cavities on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth by up to 80%.
When should children get dental sealants?
Dental sealants are usually applied to the first and second molars as soon as they erupt through the gums, which is typically around age 6 and age 12, respectively. Sealants can also be applied to premolars, which are the teeth in front of the molars.
What is the procedure for getting dental sealants?
Getting dental sealants is a quick and painless procedure. It is usually done in one dental appointment.
First, the dentist will clean the teeth and dry them thoroughly. Then, a gel is applied to the teeth to etch the surface. This helps the sealant to bond to the teeth.
Next, the sealant is painted onto the teeth and cured with a special light. The sealant hardens quickly and forms a protective barrier over the teeth.
How long do dental sealants last?
Dental sealants can last for several years, but they should be checked regularly by a dentist. If a sealant chips or wears away, it can be repaired or replaced.
Are dental sealants safe?
Dental sealants are safe and effective for most children. They are made from a BPA-free material and have been used for many years.
How much do dental sealants cost?
The cost of dental sealants will vary depending on the dentist and the insurance plan. However, most dental insurance plans cover dental sealants for children.
Benefits of dental sealants
Dental sealants offer a number of benefits for children, including:
- Reduced risk of tooth decay: Dental sealants can reduce the risk of cavities on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth by up to 80%.
- Improved dental health: Dental sealants can help to keep children’s teeth healthy and strong.
- Reduced need for dental fillings: Dental sealants can help to reduce the need for dental fillings and other dental procedures in the future.
- Cost-effectiveness: Dental sealants are a cost-effective way to protect children’s teeth.
Tips for parents
If you are considering getting dental sealants for your child, here are a few tips:
- Talk to your dentist about whether dental sealants are right for your child.
- Schedule dental appointments regularly so that your child’s dentist can check the sealants and make sure they are still in good condition.
- Teach your child the importance of good oral hygiene, even if they have dental sealants. Children should brush their teeth twice a day for two minutes each time and floss once a day.
Dental sealants are a safe and effective way to protect children’s teeth from decay. They are a good investment in your child’s future dental health.